Friday, June 19, 2009

I need to learn more Sign Language!

The next two days after the New Horizon Special School we visited two other facilities, Echoing Hills Village and the Accra Rehabilitation Center (ARC). Both of these sites are residential facilities for children and/or adults with disabilities. Echoing Hills is based out of my hometown, Columbus Ohio as it turns out! They work to educate children and train adults in vocational skills. The ARC works with men over the age of 18 who have some form of a physical disability to train them in various vocational skills. There is a lot I could say about both of these sites but oddly enough what stood out to me the most from both of these sites was the interactions I had with a couple of men who were deaf.

While taking a tour of the Echoing Hills facilities, we were introduced to a group of people preparing the meal. We found out that they were all deaf. I immediately had the urge to say hello and introduce myself. I had learned a bit of sign at my previous job. I got the attention of one of the guys and signed my name and then pointed to myself. I then pointed to him indicating that I wanted to know his name. He instantly perked up, signed his name then hit his buddy to introduce me! It was so exciting. I learned both of their names and then thanked them and wished them a nice day. They were excited too it seemed. I had made a connection.

The next day at the ARC, I was asked to talk with the guys in the woodworking shop who were also deaf. I was excited to interact with these guys and try out my sign again. We discovered that a man in the tailoring shop who has a disability knew fluent sign so we asked him to join us to translate. I was able to introduce Lea and Meredith and myself and get the names of the workers. The interpreter translated the rest of the conversations. It was amazing to see the speed he was using his hands and the level of understanding the guys had with what he was saying.

I left feeling motivated to learn more sign language. I might even look into working with people who are deaf in the future once I become an OT. It's was so great to be able to communicate with these guys and interact with them! I am inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment